Donate

You can donate to Delaney's medical expenses thru Paypal!

Monday, September 15, 2008

For the love of parents....

As a new step parent...and a soon to be birth parent... lots of issues have risen about what kind of parent I want to be. I want to be the mom that devotes my entire life to my children. I want them to have every opportunity to explore themselves academically, athletically, artistically, socially, and internally. I want them to understand that sometimes "no" is the best answer. I want to raise confident, strong, respectful women. I want to raise strong, considerate, confident men. I want to run a tough but fun household. I want my children to know that I love them more than anything in the entire world and that NOTHING will ever change that. I also want to be the mom that makes time for my partner, my family, and my friends. I want my kids to be extremely connected to their family...all of their family. I feel like family is important and having a relationship with distant cousins, aunts and uncles that don't live in town, and grandparents from other states is important.
I don't want to be the parent that attempts to make my kids people they aren't. I don't want to be the parent that practices conditional love. I don't want to be the parent that lets my own past issues cloud my relationship with my children.
I love my step children as much as I can possibly love them without having actually birthed them. I want the same things for them as I do for any future birth children. It makes me sad to know that I missed so much of their lives as small children, but I still have so much of their lives to enjoy.
I just needed to share these thoughts...there is a reason...but it's very personal and I'd prefer to keep it personal. :)

P.S. Did I tell everyone we are having a girl?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely post! congrats again on the baby girl!!!!

mgbalpha said...

Very well written!

DAD