Donate

You can donate to Delaney's medical expenses thru Paypal!

Monday, September 29, 2008

New Fun Stuff to Handle

So remember when I posted about having to go to the ER for dehydration? Yeah that was about 2 months ago. From that moment we started talking to our doctor about gestational diabetes. We felt like I was displaying a lot of symptoms although it was early to test. They put off the testing for a month from that date and when we got to the appointment where we should have had the test the doctor once again canceled it. I'm pretty sure I posted about that horrible appointment and the subsequent 3 hour diabetes appointment. Well that day we found out I do in fact have gestational diabetes (whatever happened to the fact that the woman knows her body best?). At that diagnosis it had been 4 weeks since Jess and I had started lobbying for answers. I was told the day of the test I would get in to see a diabetic counselor within a week since it was so early in pregnancy that I was having issues we needed to get a handle on it quickly. Turns out within a week really meant 3 weeks later. We finally went to that appointment and the diabetic counselor asked us why we weren't currently seeing a high risk OB. Go figure something our doctor didn't even mention. AND she gave me two days to use diet to get my sugars under the limits or insulin was where we would go. Wow this counselor moved fast! The new diet consists of eating 6 times a day...I like food...but I do not like food enough to enjoy eating 6 times a day. Counting everything, making sure I get enough of this or not too much of that...denying myself and my household of certain things because they aren't within the limits. It's difficult but I'm managing. Jess is even on the diet with me so I don't have to do it alone. She's lost almost 4 pounds! :) Today after lunch if I have any more sugars over the limit I will have to call the counselor and discuss my options as far as insulin in concerned. Keep me in your prayers please...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,

I'm so sorry to hear about the gestational diabetes, but its good that you caught it quickly and are trying to rectify the situation with diet. I hope that it's working out for you. I'm also wondering if you could say more of what you were instructed to do (specifics of the diet). I want to avoid it and thought maybe I could avoid certain foods, sugars, etc.

...sending your family good vibes for a healthy pregnancy! :)
-Farrin