Donate

You can donate to Delaney's medical expenses thru Paypal!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"You're too positive Mama!"

Yesterday and today I have heard several interesting things from the kids

"You're too positive Mama!"
while crying "Why aren't you disappointed in my behavior!?"
"Will you please get upset!?"
"Please stop telling me I'm doing a good job."


Schooling our very head strong daughters has been a challenge to say the least. That's not to say that it's not fun and rewarding and COMPLETELY worth it but it's a challenge. I am quick to react and quick to raise my voice...generally. Well I spoke to my mom and she gave me some sage advice on schooling a stubborn child (Julia). She said (1) eliminate independent work...only allow for snails pace 1-on-1 work and (2) be overly positive and do not react to negative behavior.

So here's how Science went yesterday...

Me: "Julia please cut out the left hand of the skeleton"
Julia: "Yes Mama! This is so much fun!"
Me: "Julia do not cut anything unless I tell you to. Please lay down the scissors and sit for a second to gain control and get yourself ready to listen" "Great job sitting"
Julia: "Thank you Mama"
Me: "Julia please pick up the scissors and cut out the right femur"
Julia: "Yes Ma'am"
Me: "Great job cutting Julia. Please cut out the skull"
Julia: "Yes Ma'am. I'm going to cut out the arm next"
Me: "You did a great job with the skull Julia, however we are not going at your pace with this activity we are going at mine. Please now cut out the left femur."
Julia: begrudgingly "Okay"
Me: "Great job following directions Julia"
Julia: "Please stop telling me I'm doing a good job"
Me: "That was great manners Julia. You requested that in a very good way. I just want to make sure that you know you are doing a great job. Please cut out the left foot now."
Julia: silence...as she cuts
Me: "Please now cut out the rib cage"
Julia: silence
Me: "Great job cutting that difficult piece out. Can you please cut out the right foot now"
Julia: silence

Charlotte: looking at me grading her work
Me: "Charlotte I know that you are very interested in the results but please stay focused"
Charlotte: "Yes Ma'am I'm sorry Thank you for reminding me to stay focused...I did get a little distracted."

Today I heard
Julia: MAMA PLEASE GET ANGRY WITH ME I"M BEING MEAN TO YOU AND CHARLOTTE
Me: "I'm not angry with you. We all make sad choices sometimes. I sure hope that you can make a better choice in the future though. Are you going to continue to yell because if you are I"ll give you some space and go outside so I don't interrupt."
Julia: URGH!

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

WOW ! Way to stay focused and on track. It takes a special person to do what you do everyday.
How great that your mom pitches ideas.

Lora said...

Where was your mom when I was homeschooling Josie? LOL That is some good advice and I'm going to use it.