Donate

You can donate to Delaney's medical expenses thru Paypal!

Friday, April 30, 2010

Delaney goes to the ER



This morning Delaney had an absent seizure followed by all of her arms and legs thrashing and her eyes rolling. All lasted a total of 2.5 to 3 minutes. Since our pediatrician instructed us to go to the ER if one lasted more than 2 minutes we got her dressed, loaded her up, and went off to the ER. We waited for 4 hours and then they decided to do a CT. It came back clear. Afterwards they finally called and spoke to Dr Faccini in neurology. He prescribed a drug called Zonegran. It only comes in capsule form and isn't indicated for people under 16. I was immediately upset by that. I had heard nothing of this medication before and was not about to rely on her to take food from a spoon to take the medication since it was in capsule form. We called the pediatrician and told her how we felt about giving her that medication. She agreed with us and called the neurology team at CMH. Dr. Faccini said that he liked Zonegran better and it was easier to give once a day than Keppra was twice a day. She politely asked for the Keppra dosage anyway and called me back. She explained his reasoning. Asked how I felt and I said that I'd rather her go unmedicated than be on that medication because my "mommy gut" was telling me it wasn't safe for Delaney. Other parents may disagree but I wasn't in that place. She then said she would call in Keppra and the emergency medication. So today we learned that 3-5 of the seizures she's had are considered tonic clonic (grand mal) and 2 are considered Absent Seizures (petit mal). We also have a plan of action if she has more and we are still trying to get into St Louis Children's Seizure Clinic.

1 comment:

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

I'm sorry. That sounds really scary.