Donate

You can donate to Delaney's medical expenses thru Paypal!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Proposition 8 Upheld

Last August Jess and I got married in Ventura, CA. We had a small courthouse ceremony. Her mom, dad, aunt, Grandma Stewart, and Grandpa Stewart (before he passed away this year) were in attendance. I wore a white dress and Jess wore a white shirt with khaki capris. It was simple. It was "us". We had a small little reception at the beach house following the ceremony with Jess' family. August 18, 2008 will always be the day that I married my wife. I am thankful for that day. I am thankful I was ABLE to have that day. Well in November of last year voters in California voted to enact Proposition 8 banning same-sex marriages in the state. We have been waiting until today to find out if our marriage was all of a sudden made illegal with that vote too. Fortunately we are still married today. The California Supreme Court made a ruling today that Prop 8 was constitutional but the 18,000 marriages performed between June and November would remain intact. What a crock! So its constitutional for us to get married 9 months ago but now (under the same constitution) it is now illegal?! Are we supposed to be happy about this? What if all the men in Georgia got together and voted for a law making it once again illegal for women to vote? Or all the white people in Texas voting to take away an African Americans right to own land? Our civil right was just taken from us. It makes me sad and angry. Sad to know our community lost today (more than a court ruling). Angry to think some of those ppl that voted for prop 8 knew a gay person, was "friends with a gay person, or was related to a gay person. Talk about hate. Its when a friend, coworker, relative votes to take your rights away when they do know the face of gay..do have a story behind the cause...and should be the first in line FIGHTING FOR the rights of gay people!


P.S. Delaney has a temp of 102.2 an infection of some sort and on antibiotics for the first time!

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

I'm so happy for your family. That you were able to squeeze in there. I was huge with twins and wasn't able to travel (per doctors orders) and thinking California was above the bigotry we have in Utah I felt like I had some time. hmm. guess I was wrong.

I hope that baby starts feeling better. Those high temps are so scary when they are so little.

K J and the kids said...

We're always around. Can't seem to get to far with all of these damn kids :) ha ha
You'll have to let me know when you are coming.