Donate

You can donate to Delaney's medical expenses thru Paypal!

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Humanity

Lately Jess and I have been really stressed (especially Jess) about how we are going to make ends meet. We are by no means on the verge of foreclosure, repossession, hunger, and joblessness like so many of our fellow Americans, but we are definitely feeling this recession in our home. In the midst of struggling with financial matters we have had to find a new home for our beloved puppies. It's been a very overwhelming year so far. Baby being born, baby in the hospital, financial struggles, adopting out our doggies, Charlotte turning 12, Charlotte flying to Chicago by herself for the first time, death, etc. Some have been overwhelming in a wonderful and positive way. Some have been overwhelming in a drain the happiness from your soul kind of way. However throughout it all we've see the works of God....the beautiful wonderful works of God.
We had amazing friends and family celebrate with us in January because of Delaney's arrival. We have had friends and family worry with us when she was admitted to the hospital in February. We have been surrounded by friends and family as we mourned the death of Jess' grandfather. We had friends help us find a way to place our dogs in a good home. We've had family sending us clothes for Delaney so that we dont have to worry about spending money on her clothes. We've had family and friends give us toys for Delaney as she grows so that she can have things in her life that are entertaining and help her reach her milestones effectively. We've been given so much this year.
I sold our 10 x 10 dog kennel on craigslist and the woman came to pick it up yesterday with her daughter. It cost us something like $125 dollars and I sold it for $50. This woman has devoted her life to rescuing dogs from bad situations. I was excited that the kennel was going to her. She came to our house and I felt awkward about her finding out we were a nontraditional family. I was holding Delaney when she pulled up. Once she got there I told her that Jess and I had decided to not accept her $50 and to donate the kennel to her cause. Julia quickly came outside to see what was going on. As soon as Charlotte was done with her homework she was outside helping to take down the kennel. And then Jess walked out to help while I cooked dinner. This woman and her daughter did not bat an eye at our family make up...and then I received this email this morning...

Kathy,
I just wanted to email and tell you again how much I appreciate you donating this kennel to us. Because of what I do rescueing dogs from horrible situations I'm afraid I don't often have much faith in people, then someone like you and your partner come along and a bit of my faith in humanity is restored. It was very generous of your family and again there are no words to express how much it is appreciated. This will allow us to bring a couple more into the program and keep them safe until they can find wonderful forever homes.
You have a beautiful family,
Warmest Regards,
C

God is powerful. He compels us to help one another. He ushers us to be our best at all times. We all fall so short of these two things... but sometimes we get it right, and my family got it right yesterday afternoon. My daughters and my wife are absolutely amazing people. Thinking about how blessed I truly am makes me tear up.

1 comment:

Dani Magestro said...

What a beautiful gesture and a beautiful email. We know exactly how you feel and know the power of spiritual strength that can bring us through all this.